The Publishing Process
June 12, 2017
The process of publication often seems mysterious. How does it work? Generally speaking, here is the order of how the modern publishing process moves.
- The author creates an introductory inquiry letter, called a “query.” This is usually after they finish the manuscript. In some non-fiction, you go through this process with only a book proposal before the manuscript is written.
- An Agent or Publisher accepts your work. An agent will look for a publisher.
- Your manuscript finds a home with a publisher.
- Publishing process initiates (6 months to 2 years).
- Your galley proofs arrive for your inspection.
- Once you have approved the proof, your book is released.
- After release, you work to market your book and begin the next.
It seems simple enough, but you would be surprised how incredibly complicated and needlessly confusing it can become.